Some of our most frequently asked questions below.

What is a SCITT?

SCITT stands for School Centred Initial Teacher Training.

SCITTs are able to confer the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and can train teachers in their schools.  It is therefore an alternative to a university ITT course.

Are South Cumbria School Direct a SCITT?

No, Ripley TSA SCITT is the provider for South Cumbria School Direct.  Ripley TSA SCITT is the legal name as a provider of Initial Teacher Training (ITT).

What is QTS?

QTS stands for Qualified Teacher Status, and this is the qualification you need to teach in state schools in England.

What is a PGCE?

PGCE stands for Postgraduate/Professional Graduate Certificate in Education. This is an academic award which universities award alongside QTS. It is the academic, theoretical study which is taught by a university on an ITT programme. Only a university can offer this award, as they have degree awarding powers. On our programme we will be working with Leeds Beckett University so that our trainees can gain the professional award of PGCE alongside their QTS award. 

How does your programme differ from a university PGCE?

On our programmes your training is led by our school partnership, so our schools play a much bigger role in your training than they would if they were just offering a school placement for a university PGCE. Our school staff are involved in interviewing, selecting and training you. They deliver all of the programme content and you will have all your curriculum conferences and pedagogy and practice hosted by our partner schools, where the best teachers and professionals will be deployed to teach you everything they know. Our curriculum is modern, up to date and relevant, meaning that we are training teachers with the skills and expertise which our schools need now. Our trainee employment rates are testament to this!

When can I apply?

All applications are via UCAS Teacher Training which opens in October each year.

We advise you to apply early as we will close to applications once our places are full.

Do I need to get school experience before I apply?

ITT providers are no longer allowed to demand school experience as an entry requirement (ITT Criteria 2018) but you need to know what the job involves – we have all been pupils, but a good teacher makes it look easy, and you need to find out what it is really like to be a teacher!

We can help you by providing some school experience so that you are sure you’re making the right decision. Observing our colleagues will also be good preparation for those interview questions!

It is really difficult to get school experience – what can I do?

Contact us directly.

To arrange a visit and/or school experience in:

Primary please contact Mrs Debbie Parkinson email: primary@southcumbriaschooldirect.com

Secondary please contact Mr Stephen Kelly email: skelly@furnessacademy.co.uk

If you are still at university see if you can do any enrichment or modules which involve spending time in a school. If you are taking a year out between completing your degree and applying for ITT it is a great idea to spend some time working as a teaching assistant or cover supervisor – this experience will help you enormously once you start the programme.

Please contact us if you need any help in gaining some school experience. 

Contact Us
For any questions or queries please visit our contact page.
Contact Us